The Jacksonville Home and Patio Show is a destination for First Coast foodies, with regional and local celebrity chefs cooking daily on the Edible Northeast Florida Cooking Stage. The best part? Samples! Additionally, Food Truck Sunday is back by popular demand – the best local food trucks rally in the courtyard.
Now that fall is here, it’s also prime tailgating time. Sonny’s of Northeast Florida shares one of their dry rub recipes and cooking tips below. Catch them on the cooking stage on Friday, September 29 at 12:30 p.m.
Tips for Cooking Ribs on the Grill:
1. Marinate the ribs overnight. This adds flavor and tenderizes the meat. Make sure to keep the marinade thin and sugar-free because sugar and thick sauces will not seep through the pores of the meat.
2. Prep the grill. One of the most important Tips for Grilling Ribs is to clean the grate of the grill with a wire brush to prevent the ribs from sticking. Using a brush or a folded up piece of paper towel held by tongs, dip it in vegetable oil and rub it over the grill grates. Turn on the grill's center burner, close the lid, and heat to a temperature between 200o F and 225o F.
3. Place the ribs on the grill and cook them over lowest possible heat to soften the meat. This is a cooking method called "low and slow," which is one of the best Tips for Grilling Ribs. To add moisture and flavor to the meat, baste the ribs with a light sauce during cooking.
4. Refrain from unnecessary opening of the lid as this lets the heat and smoke to escape and interrupt the cooking procedure.
5. Cooking might take about 3-5 hours depending on the thickness of the meat. Check to see if the ribs are done. A fork or toothpick should slide smoothly into the meat.
6. When the ribs are done, brush on a coat of barbecue sauce. Flip the meat and brush the other side. Cook the meat for about five minutes on each side to caramelize the sugars in the sauce.
7. Let the meat stand for a few minutes and then enjoy!
Three Pepper Rub Recipe:
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 cup pepper corns
- 2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
We can't wait to see you September 28-October 1 at the Jacksonville Home + Patio Show. Join us at the Prime Osborn Convention Center and find everything you need to refresh your space! Get your tickets NOW!
PRIME OSBORN CONVENTION CENTER
SEPTEMBER 28-October 1, 2017.